Thursday, March 7, 2013

Classic Roasted Chicken

Classic Roasted Chicken is one of my all time favorite dishes.   Its very easy to prepare and always turns out great.    When I first started making this a few years ago, I was really surprised how that we didn't have this more often when I was growing up given how tasty roasted chicken right out of the oven can be.   I have roasted turkeys for Thanksgiving for years and one year I thought, you know I should be able to roast a chicken the same way I roast a turkey, I wonder why I have never roasted a chicken?   I actually like roasted chicken better than roasted turkey.



I made some mashed potatoes (also very easy to make) and sauteed spinach in olive oil.   This meal easily makes enough for left overs.   So, this was dinner Thursday night and Friday night.

When I first started roasting chickens, I did it too frequently and my wife kind of got sick of roasted chicken.   I try to use this dish sparingly because I still get a groan sometimes when I say I am going to make roasted chicken.   Now I roast a chicken maybe 5 or 6 times per year.

I always start with fresh, organic, whole chicken.   I rinse the chicken and pat dry.   Then I rub butter all over the chicken, sprinkle with salt and pepper and then Herbs de Provence and then I roast uncovered in a roasting pan at 350 to 375 degrees until the interior of the breast meat reaches 180 degrees.   Pretty easy!      I also pour a little bit of water in the roasting pan (maybe 1/4 cup) and then baste the chicken in the juices from the roasting pan a few times while the chicken cooks.

On Thursday night, I roasted about a 4 pound bird which took a little over an hour at 375 degrees.   And dinner was really delicious.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dave,

    Thanks for this great recipe! I didn't have a whole chicken, so I made Cornish Hens instead and they turned out great. My boyfriend is already planning for the next time when I make them. I guess it's safe to say he's a fan! LOL

    Miss Diva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss Diva,

      Thank you very much for your comments. I am glad your Cornish Hens turned out.

      Delete