Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner on Wednesday.    My daughter's birthday falls on Thanksgiving this year and she thought it was unfair that instead of having two special days, she would have only one this year.   So, since it was just going to be us this year, no guests, we decided to have our Thanksgiving dinner on Wednesday.  


I ordered an organic whole Turkey breast from Whole Foods.   This is the first time I have cooked just Turkey breast instead of a whole turkey, and I liked it much better.   The cooking time was much less and I didn't end up with a giant roasted bird I needed to carve and a lot dark meat that would go uneaten (especially since I have been eating a healthier diet).

I put the 7lb turkey breast in the oven at about 1:30 in the afternoon.   I coat the chicken with butter and then sprinkle salt, pepper, and Herbs de Provence  over the turkey and roast at 350 degrees, uncovered in the oven until the meat about 175 degrees.    

While the turkey roasted I made the other dishes:  fresh green beans, sweet potatoes (topped with marshmallows), mashed potatoes, dressing/stuffing (Pepperidge Farms), cranberry sauce (from a can), gravy (from a jar), and dinner rolls.   Its clearly not a gourmet Thanksgiving dinner.   Our dinner is pretty much made up of the dishes both my wife and I ate at Thanksgiving as kids minus the stuff we didn't like and still don't like green bean casserole and scalloped potatoes.   Actually, as a kid, I ate only the green beans, rolls, turkey, and marshmallow topping on the sweet potatoes.

I had dinner on the table a little before 6pm, so the whole meal took a little less than four and a half hours to prepare.   We all thought it was one of the best Thanksgiving dinners we have had.  I did count the calories and although I didn't weigh everything, I estimated that I ate about 1,000 calories for dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment