Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Mini-Farfalle with Roasted Peppers, Onions, Feta, and Mint

Mini-Farfalle with Roasted Peppers, Onions, Feta, and Mint is a dish based on a Cooking Light recipe I have written about in this blog several times.   It has always been a reliable and delicious vegetarian dish that I look forward to making.   But on Tuesday night, I succeeded in ruining this simple dish.  

 Photo: John Autry; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross

On Tuesdays, my daughter has dance until about 6:30pm and then my wife picks her up and they return home at around 7pm.   I like to have dinner ready when they walk through the door so that my daughter ends up getting to bed at a decent time and also because by 7pm everybody is usually pretty hungry (and sometimes cranky).

Everything seemed to be going well, but when we sat down to eat, I realized I forgot to toast the pine nuts and I forgot to add the raisins when I was cooking the onions and garlic.   What I soon discovered is that the pine nuts and raisins are really important to the flavor of this dish.  Without the sweetness from the raisins and nutty flavor of the pine nuts, this dish is just bland and a chore to finish eating! 

Well, we ate it anyway, and although my wife said it was alright, I was disappointed.   I had planned to serve this for left overs on Wednesday, and I did, but I toasted some pine nuts and sauteed some raisins in a little bit olive oil and threw the pine nuts and raisins into the dish and it was as delicious as I remembered.


No comments:

Post a Comment