Sunday, September 1, 2013

Spring Garden Salad with Chicken and Champagne Vinaigrette and Creamy Tomato Soup.

When I am working out regularly, watching my diet, and getting plenty of rest, having a healthy salad for dinner brings at all together and leaves me feeling like I am living well.  


Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Mary Clayton Carl

I like to try new dishes on the weekend when I have more time to shop and cook and I have had my eye on a Cooking Light recipe for Creamy Tomato Soup for some time.   So, tonight I decided to make the Tomato Soup and found a Cooking Light recipe this Spring Garden Salad with Chicken and Champagne Vinaigrette which I thought would go well with the soup.  

I was curious to try Champagne Vinaigrette.  I mentioned this to my wife and she said there are all sorts of exotic vinaigrettes these days and she was right.   There was a whole section of vinaigrettes at the store which I have never noticed before.

The combination of the honey, oil, and vinaigrette made for a sweet and light dressing for salad.   I bought a whole roasted chicken from Whole Foods and used the breast meat in the salad.


Photo: Johnny Autry; Styling: Cindy Barr

For me, the Creamy Tomato Soup was really the star of this meal.   The recipe says that it yields 6 servings of 3/4 cup each.   Those are pretty small servings, but with only 1/4 cup of half-n-half for the entire recipe, we had a little over a cup of soup per serving and easily stayed below my calorie budget for the day.

The soup really did turn out great.   I love tomato soup but I don't like the calories and sodium from the soup I find in stores and restaurants.   This was the first time I have ever made tomato soup at home and I am sure it will become part of my repertoire of delicious dishes for healthy dinners.




No comments:

Post a Comment