Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Thai Red Curry Tofu and Shrimp Cakes

I have been thinking about making shrimp or crab cakes for quite awhile now and decided to try a Cooking Light recipe for Thai Shrimp Cakes.  

Photo: Brian Woodcock; Styling: Cindy Barr

 I bought frozen, wild-caught, pink Key West shrimp from Whole Foods in Campbell, CA.  The shrimp were lovely and I hesitated to chop them up for the shrimp cakes.   I forgot to add the egg to the shrimp cake mixture and I used all of the shredded coconut in the mixture and had to add more coconut to the breading later.   I also needed a bit more oil when I cooked the shrimp cakes than is called for in the recipe.   Still, the shrimp cakes turned out to be pretty good.   My wife really liked them.



At only 83 calories per shrimp cake (per the recipe), I needed something else to make this a dinner, so I made the shrimp cakes a side dish to one of my favorite Thai dishes-- Thai Red Curry Tofu.

The Red Curry Tofu recipe is based on a Cooking Light Recipe for Thai Red Curry Shrimp.   I marinated the tofu in some Sarachi hot sauce, salt, and a little sesame oil for about an hour and then sauteed with a little more oil before adding the tofu to the curry mixture.   I served the Red Curry Tofu with plain rice.

This was a higher calorie dinner than I usually eat and the fact that I used more coconut than I should have and more oil, my shrimp cakes came out to around 150 calories per cake.   The tofu dish was around 320 calories per serving and with 3/4 cup of rice at 181 calories, the complete dinner was 650 calories!


No comments:

Post a Comment