Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo

On  Tuesday, after salad and soup for two nights, I was in the mood for something richer, so I decided to make Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo.    It had been quite awhile since we had shrimp for dinner and I have been wanting to try Cooking Light's version of Alfredo sauce.   The last time I made Alfredo sauce at home, it was the full fat version and almost too rich.   This was before I started making healthier healthier dinners.  


Photo: John Autry and Randy Mayor; Styling: Cindy Barr

I usually buy frozen or previously frozen, wild caught shrimp.   Most of the frozen wild caught shrimp I find at Whole Foods in California seems to come from the Gulf of Mexico.  

I had some half-n-half left over from the Creamy Tomato Soup I made on  Sunday.   The Alfredo sauce is basically grated Parmesean cheese, half-n-half, and light cream cheese.    It was a nice bonus to make two dishes within a few days which both use half-n-half since I rarely use all the half-n-half I buy.

This is a pretty simple dish and really delicious.   I liked the Alfredo sauce better than my full fat version.   Its pretty rich though, even for a Cooking Light recipe.   A serving size of one cup, which is a little small for me, is about 450 calories.   I was able to limit myself to one cup and stay within my calorie budget for the day and have enough for left overs tomorrow night.   I did want to lick my plate, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment