Sunday, August 25, 2013

A Spicy Southwestern Dinner

For our Sunday night dinner, I made Southwestern Chicken Soup and Spicy Southwestern Tabbouleh.   I have made both dishes in the past, but never together.  I thought they would compliment each other well and so I have been looking forward to an opportunity to make this dinner.   Both recipes are Cooking Light recipes I found on myrecipes.com


When I first tasted the soup, I was a little disappointed, and then I remembered that I had not yet added the lime juice or avacado.  Both ingredients made a huge difference and after adding them, the soup was as delicious as I remembered.  

 Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr

Both dishes turned out great.   I had enough left over Tabbouleh that we were able to have left overs for dinner the following night and enough to take for lunches.   The Tabbouleh is great warm or cold and its the kind of food that is delicious and makes you feel good when you eat it because you know its healthy food.  

Total calorie count for this meal including 1 2/3 cup of soup and 3/4 cup of tabbouleh was 500 calories.   I generally try to eat about 300 calories for breakfast, 400 calories for lunch, 500 calories for dinner and another 500 calories in healthy snacks through out the day like bananas, apples, mangoes, peaches, carrots.





No comments:

Post a Comment