Sunday, May 26, 2013

Teriyaki Pork with Vegetables and Noodles

My daughter and I had been planning to make sushi rolls for a few days now and I was thinking that we might enjoy the sushi rolls along with a teriyaki dish of some sort.   Well, we ended up making the sushi rolls as a late lunch / afternoon snack and I think it was for the best, because I don't think the Teriyaki Pork dish I made really needed any accompaniment.

Photo:  Becky Luigart-Stayner; Jan Gautro

Like most of my cooking, this is a pretty simple dish.   I based this on a Cooking Light recipe with some variation.   I sauteed strips of lean, center cut pork chops in sesame oil until the pork started to brown, then I threw in chopped red bell pepper and green onion, a sprinkle of dried, ground ginger and a sprinkle of garlic powder.  When the started to soften after a few minutes, I poured about 10 fluid ounces of Teriyaki sauce in the pan and mixed everything well, and then removed the pan from the heat.  

For a dish like this, I generally like to serve the veggies and pork in one bowl and the pasta in another bowl and let people mix them together on their plate.   This allows people to get the mix of meat and veggies and pasta they want.   I find that when I mix everything together in one large bowl, all of the good stuff sinks to the bottom of the bowl.   Also, since I am on a diet, I put my scale on the table and weigh the amount of pasta and the amount of veggies and pork I am adding to my serving.   This helps me keep track of how much I am eating and allows me to stay within my calorie budget for the day.

Well, the food was really good.  My wife said she liked it as well, but I think I enjoyed it a bit more.   This is probably something I would make a couple of times per year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment