Friday, May 3, 2013

Greek Salad with Grilled Chicken (High Sodium version)

I used the chicken I grilled last night in the Greek Salad I made for dinner tonight along with some homemade hummus and pita bread.    The salad was delicious, but when I added up the sodium... I was kind of shocked.   I knew it was going to be high but not that high!   Almost 1300mg of sodium per serving!  Yikes!   So my total sodium intake yesterday was almost 2800mg.  

Becky Luigart-Stayner; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell

If I had more time before I needed to prepare the salad I would have added up the sodium ahead of time.   Most of the sodium is in the dressing.    But the olives and feta also add a lot of sodium to the salad and I used more olives and twice as much feta as was called for in the recipe!

Sodium contributors to the dressing:

1/2 teaspoon of salt...          1179mg
1/4 cup of chicken broth....   140mg

Other major sodium contributors:

2oz of feta cheese...              860mg
20 kalamata olives...           1600mg

Total sodium...                    5101mg

Per serving (4 servings)     1275mg


Next time I make this, I am going to go easier on the olives, feta, and cut the amount of salt in half.   That should put this meal at under 400mg of sodium!

No comments:

Post a Comment