Saturday, May 11, 2013

Steak Fajitas (Chevy's style)

The last time I made Steak Fajitas in February I mentioned wanting to try a marinade that was supposed to taste like the marinade used by Chevy's restaurant.   I finally got around to trying it this weekend and I would say the steak fajitas had a similar flavor to Chevy's but I still think Chevy's (on a good day) is better. 





My wife really liked the fajitas and said that they were better than Chevy's.   Anyway, the recipe for the Chevy's marinade is on Big Oven and I do think they were the best Fajitas I have ever made at home.

The recipe says to marinate flank steak overnight... which is a good idea if you are using flank steak.  I didn't have that much time, so I paid more for some very lean and tender New York Strip and marinated the steak for about three hours.

Since I started a diet back in April, I have been avoiding flour tortillas due to the high sodium and calories.   But, I recently discovered Smart & Delicious(TM) Light Flour Tortillas from La Tortilla Factory.  They are about 1/3 fewer calories than regular flour tortillas and much less sodium, and they taste great.   They are a little thinner than the tortillas I am used to eating, but with such delicious steak inside, it all worked.


I also sauteed bell pepper and onions to put in the fajitas along with the steak.   I ate two steak fajitas for dinner with about 2oz of steak in each fajita, a little sour cream, onions and bell bepper and some salsa and the whole dinner was about 600 calories.   That's a little more than I have been eating for dinner, but I still stayed within my calorie budget for the day.







No comments:

Post a Comment