Sunday, May 12, 2013

Grilled Pork Chops, Potato Soup, and Chard Sauteed with Onions and Garlic

My daughter's 3rd grade class has been visiting a local vegetable garden and learning about growing and cooking fresh vegetables.    She brought home a little cookbook of recipes they have been trying at school recently and she decided she wanted to make dinner for her mother for Mother's Day using recipes from the cookbook.

She made (with some help), Potato Soup and Chard Sauteed with Onions and Garlic.   To go along with this, I grilled some pork chops outside on my charcoal grill.    It was a delicious dinner, but somewhat high in saturated fat.    I have been trying to keep the calories from saturated fat to below 7% of total calories, but with this dinner, almost 14% of my calories for the day came from saturated fat!



The primary ingredients in the soup:   1 stick of butter! (we used only half), 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream, chicken broth, potatoes, carrots, onions, thyme, salt and pepper.   Really delicious, but you put that much butter and cream and salt in anything and it will taste pretty good, I think.



So, with the soup and a 6oz pork chop (more than I usually eat, but I was hungry today), dinner was 667 calories and 43g of fat including 20g of saturated fat.    Almost 60% of the calories in the meal came from fat and 27% from saturated fat.   Not really a healthy or a very light dinner!


No comments:

Post a Comment