Thursday, May 23, 2013

Middle Eastern Steak and Chicken Kabobs

I was hungry as I scanned through my list of recipes this afternoon to decide what to make for dinner.  It was almost two o'clock and I had not eaten lunch yet.   When I am really hungry something grilled, usually steak, always seems to get my attention.

I decided to make a middle eastern dinner tonight with grilled steak and chicken kabobs, Jerusalem Salad, plain rice, and hummus.    For the kabobs, I use a marinade recipe I got from a Cooking Light Chicken Shawarma recipe.    I made the steak kabobs using the same marinade back in Feburary.

 Jerusalem Salad

I started using my other charcoal grill a few days ago and I guess I am still getting used to it.   The cooking surface sits a little higher above the coals and this grill is a couple of inches larger in diameter.   I switched to this grill because I thought the increase in cooking surface area would work well with my method of pushing all the coals out to the outer edge of the grill as it would give me more cooking surface area not directly over the coals.   And while I do get more center area to work, I wasn't getting quite enough heat at the center and so the kabobs took more than twice as long to cook and I got impatient and took everything off, moved the coals back to the middle and then left the meat on the grill just a few minutes too long resulting in some charring.   The meat was a little dry but the the flavor was really good.   Well, live and learn, I guess. 

My wife usually puts the Jerusalem salad together.   I did all the prep work for her so she could throw it all together.   The salad was delicious.  And the hummus always turns out great. 

Hummus

No comments:

Post a Comment