Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Spaghetti with Meat Sauce... my all time favorite.

There are a lot of dishes which I describe as "one of my favorites" but my homemade spaghetti with meat sauce really is my absolute favorite dinner.   Its kind of high in sodium and I need to experiment with some lower sodium tomato sauce, but I enjoy this dinner so much that I could not hold off making this much longer.   Its been almost two months since I made spaghetti.  Plus, I was not really feeling very adventurous this evening and didn't feel like taking the time to review recipes to come up with something more interesting. 



I did cut the amount of ground beef I use in the spaghetti by 1/3 (from 3/4 lb to 1/2 lb), and I have been using 90% lean meat for awhile now.   With less meat, the numbers on spaghetti are not too bad if I don't stuff myself.     I added up the nutritional data on all the ingredients and came up with 520 calories per serving, 10g of fat, 3.5g of sat fat, 69mg of cholesterol, and 865mg of sodium (ouch).

This is another dish that you want to plan for if you are trying to reduce sodium, so that you can make sure you don't take in too much sodium at breakfast or lunch.

I usually have garlic bread and a salad to go with the spaghetti, but I had to cut those items from the menu to keep this meal within my daily budget for calories and sodium.   I did miss that buttery, salty, garlic bread.   But, at least for now, I feel even better knowing that I am eating healthier.

Dinner was certainly delicious and I enjoyed every bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment