Saturday, April 13, 2013

Pizza Night

My 9 year old daughter informed me that she was making pizza for all of us for dinner tonight.    We would each have a personal pizza.   I ordered a veggie pizza.



My wife took our daughter grocery shopping for the ingredients.   They bought pizza dough, Ragu pizza sauce, a 5 cheese mix for the topping, olives, bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms.

Even though we don't have a pizza stone, the pizza did turn out well.   My daughter did a great job spreading the dough and making the pizzas.    Pizza fresh and hot right out of the oven is always delicious.   I was surprised at how much I liked the Ragu pizza sauce.   My daughter also made me a salad to go with the pizza.

On a more serious note, I have recently discovered that my blood pressure is creeping up, and although I have been making pretty healthy dinners (for the most part), I need to start watching the sodium more closely and lose some weight.   Pizza was not a good start to watching sodium as each personal pizza had over 900mg of sodium.   The recommended daily intake according to the American Heart Association is 1500mg per day, which I find to be a very challenging limit.

In order to lose some weight over the next few months, I will be trying to keep my daily caloric intake to under 2,000 calories, higher if I start exercising regularly.   I have been tracking my food, calories, and nutrients on my iPhone using an app from MyNetDiary off and on for a few months now and I have found that the 2,000 calorie limit is reasonable if I watch what I am eating and don't eat out for lunch (that means taking left overs for lunch).

A few months ago I started making extra quantities of my healthy dinners and freezing them for lunches.   This worked out great, but I got out of the habit of doing this.    I have noticed in the past then when I don't eat out for lunch and bring my lunch to work, I start to lose a little weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment