Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Sweet Potato and Cashew Korma over Coconut Rice

I tried a new dish tonight, Sweet Potato and Cashew Korma over Coconut Rice.   This is a vegetarian dish and although you wouldn't know it from the title, tofu is a main ingredient.   The cashews have a very small role.   It should really be called Sweet Potato and Tofu Korma over Coconut Rice.

photo by Randy Mayor

This is an Indian inspired dish and I knew my wife would probably like this a lot, which she did.   It is not really at the top of my list as far as Indian dishes go.   I really liked the Tandoori chicken I made a few weeks ago much better.

This is supposed to be left overs for tomorrow night as well, but I might find something else to eat tomorrow night.   I don't know, maybe I will give it another try.   Some dishes actually taste better as left overs and this dish is super healthy.

I mostly followed the recipe except that I did stir fry the Tofu in some peanut oil before adding it to the rest of the ingredients.   The recipe said to cook the other ingredients and then put the tofu in raw before serving.   That did not seem like it would turn out well to me.   Raw tofu is just not very good in my opinion.    Anyway, I liked the tofu in this dish having cooked it separately.

This is the first time I have made coconut rice.   This is just Indian basmati rice made in the usual way but with the addition of coconut milk along with water.   Normally, the amount of water I use is 2x the amount of rice.   To make the coconut rice its 2 3/4 cups of water and 1 cup of coconut milk with 1 1/2 cups of rice.   I was worried that would be way to much liquid and that the rice would be soggy, but it was perfect actually.

This was a pretty good meal for my diet and today was a good day as far as my diet goes.

Here are my stats for today (including breakfast, lunch, and dinner)

1.  6g of dietary fiber at breakfast... my goal is 5g minimum
2.  1850 calories for the day... my goal is 2100 maximum
3.  38g of dietary fiber for the whole day... goal is minimum 38g
4.  7% of calories from saturated fat... goal is 7% max
5.  0g trans fat... goal is 0g
6.  150mg of cholesterol, goal is 300mg maximum
7.  1852mg of sodium... goal is 1500mg max, but 1800mg is pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment