Sunday, April 14, 2013

Chili-Glazed Tofu

Chili-Glazed Tofu is a delicious vegetarian dish, that before tonight, I have not made for several months.   Many months ago, this was my go-to vegetarian dish but I think I made it too frequently and got tired of it.   I definitely enjoyed it for dinner tonight and it tasted better than I remember.



The only problem with this dish is the high sodium.   I started a diet yesterday to lose some weight and I really want to get the sodium down as well.   This dish has about 1,000mg of sodium per serving!   This is mainly due to the soy sauce.    Even reduced sodium soy sauce has close to 800mg of sodium per tablespoon!

I did use 25% less soy sauce than the recipe called for which helped a little, and next time I make this I will try to use half the soy sauce.   It is a really delicious, low calorie, filling, and vegetarian dinner and I would like to keep this dinner in my menu rotation.

In general, I am surprised at how much sodium is in many of the foods I eat.   I mean those foods have a lot of sodium if I am going to try to keep my daily intake below 1,500mg.   I was shocked to discover that a slice of white bread has almost 200mg of sodium per slice!   I am thinking about buying a bread machine so that I can make my own reduced sodium bread.

Tomorrow I am planning to make Lemon Oregano Lamb Chops

No comments:

Post a Comment