Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Spicy Thai Coconut Chicken Soup

In one week, I will have recorded two months of meals I have made for my family.   After I hit the one month mark, I realized that it would not be too difficult to go two months without repeating the same meal over the two month period.   Now, I am shooting for three months.   My goal is to use a unique recipe every time I cook, over a three month period starting from when I started this blog.

So, far I have cooked 32 meals and we have either gone out to dinner or ordered take out 3 times.   Since I generally cook 4 dinners per week, in 3 months, on May 16, I will have made 53 meals (assuming we do not go out to dinner on a night I would normally cook).    Even if we do go out once or twice, it will still be over 50 different main dishes.

In order to meet this goal, I am going to have to try several new recipes.   Tonight was a new recipe and it turned out great, although it did not make enough for left overs for tomorrow night.



Tonight I made Spicy Thai Coconut Chicken Soup.   This is a Cooking Light recipe from myrecipes.com and it is very easy to make.   Chop up some bell pepper and mushrooms, mince some garlic and fresh ginger, stir fry, throw in coconut milk, chili paste, fish sauce, and chicken broth and simmer for a bit.   Then throw in some roasted chicken breast and then put green onion and chopped fresh cilantro on top.   Squeeze a couple of limes and put the juice in.   That's it.   It is super good. 

The recipe is supposed to make 4 servings, but each serving is only 1 and 1/3 cup.   My wife and I had close to 2 cups each for dinner along with some fresh spring rolls I picked up from Thai Orchid in Campbell, California.   So, like I said earlier, there was not enough for leftovers for dinner tomorrow night.   I might cook something else tomorrow night or it might be an "on your own" night. 



I was going to make the spring rolls myself, but Whole Foods in Campbell did not have any rice paper for the rolls.   The rools look like they might be pretty easy to make.   If they turned out looking anything like the spring rolls from Thai Orchid, they would be impressive.   Spring Rolls are definitely going on my "learn how to make" list.   The peanut sauce from Thai Orchid was also really good.   Peanut sauce makes these rolls great, so if I decide to make the rolls at some point, I will also need to make the peanut sauce!




No comments:

Post a Comment