Friday, October 11, 2013

Curied Shrimp and Chick Peas in Tomato Sauce over Rice

Our schedules on Thursday and Friday this week were thrown off due to a car in the shop.   Its amazing how much turmoil is created by having to fight my way through peak traffic to get to the mechanic's shop across town before the shop closes at 6pm.   

I didn't have time to go the grocery store on Thursday or Friday, so I had to make due with ingredients on hand.   I had some frozen, wild-caught, gulf shrimp in the freezer and combined this with canned chick peas, canned diced tomatoes, rice, and some spices to make a dish which was similar to Chana Masala (without fresh herbs).

I cooked the onions, garlic, and spices in oil and then added shrimp follwed by chick peas and the diced tomatoes and salt.   I did not drain the tomatoes so the liquid in the 28 oz can of diced tomatoes provided most of the liquid for the sauce.   I did end up adding a bit of broth to give the dish more moisture.

I served this over steamed rice and it was pretty good-- good enough that we actually ate the left overs on Saturday night.   This is something I will make again but with some cilantro next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment