Saturday, February 16, 2013

Why I Like to Cook

Welcome to my cooking blog.   I didn't start this blog because I am a great cook... I am not.   I do ok in the kitchen.  I can follow recipes.  I have a sense of when things seem to be turning out or not.   I can make adjustments on the fly sometimes to save a dish from turning into a bad meal.   I do derive satisfaction from cooking a meal that turns out well and for me, a meal turns out well when its healthy and we enjoy eating the food and want more of it and it doesn't take me 3 hours to prepare.

I seem to be pretty lucky in picking dishes to make and having them turn out well and in being able to come up with things my 9 year old daughter will eat.    That's how I earned the nickname, "Jackpot Daddy."   


Family dinners were a part of my childhood.  I think the family dinner is an important and valuable tradition.   Its really the only daily activity in which we sit at a table across from our family members without the distraction of TV or the internet.  Its my favorite time of day and the main reason I enjoy cooking is to make dinner a satisfying family event for everyone in the family at least a few times per week.

I generally cook 4 meals per week on Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday.    Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday meals are designed to have leftovers for Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.    Sometimes we go out to dinner on Friday or Saturday but not often.

No comments:

Post a Comment