Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Southwestern Chicken Soup

I wasn't sure what I was going to make tonight.   I wanted it to be a chicken night since we had steak kabobs the last two nights for dinner.    None of my chicken recipes seemed appealing then I remembered the Southwestern Chicken Soup I made a couple of weeks ago.     Its another Cooking Light recipe from MyRecipes.com.   I noted the ingredients in my phone and then left for the grocery store at 5pm and I had dinner ready by 6:30pm when my wife and daughter walked through the door.   This is a pretty simple recipe with some delicious fresh ingredients like avocado, tomato, and cilantro.    I substitute Cannellini the Great Northern beans called for in the recipe.   The soup was delicious.



Here is my shopping list and cost of the items (from Whole Foods).

32 oz Organic Chicken Broth (2@$3.59)...  $7.18
16 oz Can of Organic Cannellini beans... $1.19
1 Large Onion (0.86 lb)... $1.63  (I only used half of this)
1 Lime... $0.50
1 Organic Avocado... $1.79
1 Plain Roasted Chicken... $9.99
2 Organic Tomatoes  (0.5 lb)... $2.48
1 Bunch of Cilantro... $1.99 (I used about half of this)

Total cost:   $26.75

Makes about 6 servings, so cost per serving:   $4.46




No comments:

Post a Comment