Saturday, February 23, 2013

Sesame Noodles with Chicken and Zucchini

Tonight's dish is something I have been making for years.   The original version of this dish is a delicious vegetarian recipe from Main-Course Vegetarian Pleasures by Jeanne Lemlin.   After I started eating meat again, I adapted this recipe to include diced chicken.   The original recipe calls for asparagus, but if I cannot find decent asparagus at the grocery store, I will substitute zucchini.   Also, in order to reduce my sodium intake, I use reduced sodium soy sauce and about half the amount of soy sauce called for in the recipe.   If you are looking for good, easy vegetarian recipes, I highly recommend Main-Course Vegetarian Pleasures.   This cookbook is what I started with when learning to cook.



Here is the basic idea behind this dish... saute vegetables and scallions with garlic and ginger.   Then saute the diced chicken with garlic and ginger.   Make the sauce or dressing which is 1 part soy sauce, 1 part rice wine, 1 part sesame oil, a dash of chili oil, and 1 part vegetable stock.   Pour the sauce over cooked spaghetti noodles, mix in the chicken and veggies, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.

Its a delicious meal that always turns out good.   My wife and I always enjoy this dinner.

This is a one night meal... no plan to have left overs.    Below is a breakdown of the cost of this dinner.  I shopped at Whole Foods.

Garlic... $0.10
Organic Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast (.95 lb @ $6.99/lb)... $6.69
Ginger...  $0.30
3 Organic Zucchini (0.7lb @ $3.69/lb)...   $2.58
Soy Sauce, Sesame Oil, Rice Wine, Vegetable Stock....  $1.25
Green Onions...  $1.49
Spaghetti... $3.20
Sesame Seeds... $??

Total:   $15.61

Makes two servings... so each serving was  at least $7.80

No comments:

Post a Comment